Week 1: Introduction to Data Science
connecting to the llc.stat.purdue.edu computer server
Instructions for connecting to the server for class and for our research projects.
If you prefer to see videos, they are given at the top of the instruction page.
If you prefer written instructions, those are listed too.
There are instructions for both the Mac and Windows computers.
adjusting the screen size
How to adjust the screen size? video instructions to adjust screen size.
Also there are instructions for how to change the time and weather to the Lafayette, Indiana, area.
Books about the Unix environment:
- Learning the Unix Operating System, Fifth Edition by Jerry Peek, Grace Todino-Gonguet, and John Strang (O'Reilly, 2001)
- List of Unix utilities (Wikipedia)
- Unix in a Nutshell, 4th Edition by Arnold Robbins (O'Reilly, 2005)
- The UNIX Programming Environment by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike (Prentice Hall, 1984)
- Unix Power Tools, 3rd Edition by Shelley Powers, Jerry Peek, Tim O'Reilly, and Mike Loukides (O'Reilly, 2002)
- The Linux Command Line [official direct link for pdf download of the book] by William Shotts (No Starch Press, 2012)
- How Linux Works by Brian Ward (No Starch Press, 2015)
The Bash webpage has a manual. The current maintainer has a webpage for Bash that includes a FAQ.
Books about the bash shell: